Thursday 4 March 2010

3rd day

With another day of wonderful sunshine, it was a pleasure to go down the Bridlingtons sandy beach, so unlike Withernseas. It was a long day yesterday and I am getting very tired. But the tasks we are doing are varied and interesting, and I really do not want to miss a minute of it. Yesterdays highlight was a trip to the beach with Rev Ben Norton who is celebrating Lent with sand writing. During the 40 days of Lent the Reverend and some of his community are going down to the beach to write something that reflects how they feel. It can be anything, a quote from a book or film, something personal to them. Ben wrote a quote from The Shawshank Redemption, "Get busy living, or get busy dying". Last night the tide would have washed this away, and today someone else will be adding their personal thoughts to that glorious beach.
Rev Ben works out of Emmanuel Church Bridlington. Above is a picture of what it used to look like. Unfortunately it was burnt down and had to be rebuilt.
The result, to me, does not look like a church. In fact it reminded me of a crem. and Ben thought it looked like a swimming pool.
But it is well used with a playgroup and others.
After all its what happens in church that is important, rather than what the building looks like. Although I do still like my churches to look like my idea of them.

No comments: