Sunday 22 May 2011

Uncomfortable and thought provoking

I read yesterday that the world was supposed to end last night. Well I am awake and here, so I guess the guy got that wrong. Though maybe my poor body is slightly sad at that, I think my mind is pleased that I am still here and waiting to see what new adventures are planned for me.

This week I renewed my acquaintance with the gym after a break of 3 months. Every morning I got up early and spent time on the treadmill, bike and rowing machine. Had to start slowly to build up again, but by Friday I felt good. Wish I still did. My head aches, nose is blocked and throat feels like it has been rubbed with sandpaper. My limbs feel like they belong to someone else - if they are yours, please come and claim them. How on earth can anyone get a cold when we have been having such glorious weather?

Another visit to Hull Truck this week proved interesting. Press tickets to shows mean I have seen more plays in last few months, than in rest of my life. Plays that I would not have thought of going and seeing in the normal run of things. But occasionally there is a real gem. Something that I would of not minded paying for. This weeks offering was not one of those.

  • 1967. Kenneth and Sandra know the world is changing. And they want some of it.Love, Love, Love takes on the baby boomer generation as it retires, and finds it full of trouble. Smoking, drinking, ambitious and paranoid, one couple's forty-year journey from initial burst to full bloom.

On paper it sounded interesting and right up my street. However it proved uncomfortable viewing. Even as a smoker myself, I found the casts chain smoking a turn off. It is a small intimate theatre, and the smoke drifted through the audience creating a bit of a fug. And I am old enough to remember when we were allowed to smoke in theatres, cinemas and on buses.

The content of the production caused much comment in the 2 intervals. As we ladies of a certain age compared notes and experiences. It has to be said that this was the first time I have been there and become engaged in conversation with so many strangers in one night. This was certainly not a production I would have paid to see, though I am pleased that I did. Sometimes we need to experience thought provoking and uncomfortable things. This play was both.

No comments: