Sunday 9 March 2008

A little rant

Got my ravelry invite this week, though not had time to do anything but fill in my profile. I will make some time today to have a good look round and familerise myself with it. I am pleased to say that I only have 4 more squares on the pram blanket to do, though there is then the long border - last time that took me 3 days. What a shame that the knitting machine can not do that lovely leaf pattern. Having at last started something for myself, I am now wondering if I have enough yarn to finish it. Although there seemed loads, some of the balls had been used and I have already used 3 without being half way up the first front. It will not be easy to unravel if I need to, as its incredibly nobbly. I do have another bag of this yarn in a different colour, so may have to work that in somewhere. I keep my scales and woolwinder at work for winding and weighing small balls. Next time I start something like this, I must remember to bring them home. As Aldi are selling some cheap yarn at the moment, my shop takings have gone right down. I know competition is supposed to be healthy, but in a small town where all the shops are having a tough time, it does annoy me that big stores will bring in items that take business from the local shops. They can afford to sell goods cheaper than we pay for them. Thankfully they don't tend to sell the same stuff week after week, and I have no doubt that many of their customers will have under estimated how much they will need for their patterns. I will alway put extra balls of the same dyelot away if they are unsure. The big stores won't do this. Nor are they able to help if you get stuck on a pattern. I will always help out regardless of where the yarn was bought. Many times customers have told me that its wonderful to find a wool shop, and they will travel a lot of miles to buy their supplies. If big stores undercut the small shops, we will not be able to survive. Then what will my customers do? I doubt the likes of Aldi will ever keep the range I do, or have the staff with the knowledge and time to help them out with knitting problems. I love a bargain as much as anyone, but I wonder if those people snapping up the cheap yarn are aware that they may lose the only wool shop for miles around. Supporting a local shop may cost you a few pennies more, but experience to help, not to mention the range of goods, cannot be bought. Once it has gone, you are unlikely to get it back again. Sorry for the rant. It is very disheartening when you have put so much effort into something, and there is little return for it. After 18 months in the shop, I still do not draw a wage. From easter I hope to start taking £50 a week. I wonder how many others would work for next to nothing, just because they enjoy it.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I bet Aldi's buyers have got a special deal for a job lot and once it's gone they probably won't get any more. I wouldn't think the yarn they've got is of the same quality as yours so your customers will probably stick with you.

Unknown said...

I wish I lived nearer! I have some wool shops in my area but they are quite a distance away too, one in Watford has some cones fro machine knitting. They are not stocking more though and phasing that part of the store out. I was in Dunelm over the weekend and noticed they were also stocking cheap yarn. It looked cheap to, not somethig I would bother with.
Chin up!

PaulaC said...

Thanks for support. Sorry for the bit of a moan. Things will pick up when the weather gets better, it just seems to have been a very long winter.