Saturday 15 March 2008

More techno. fear

For some time I have been thinking about getting a new TV for the bedroom. The old one does not have a scart socket and I have not been able to set up digital on it. When Aldi opened, Keith Chegwin gave me a free digital box, but my main TV already has freeview built in. So the box is still unopened months later. So I nip to Tesco for a loaf of bread, and there are some 15" TV/DVD sets on sale cheap. Once again the techno. fear kicks in. Will I be able to set it up? Stand and stare at the sets for about 10 mins. If anyone was watching me on CCTV I would have looked very suspicious. Though I would have been unable to slip one of those big boxes under my coat. Went and did a bit more shopping and came back to them. Still unable to make up my mind. I could have gone home and thought about it, but there were only 2 there. If I had taken too long, they could both have been sold and I would have missed out on one. That clinched it. I threw caution to the wind and bought one. It is still boxed, though I have read through the instructions. That made me even more nervous. But I did manage to get the digital recorder up and running last week, so I must be able to do this. OK it can sit on the floor and wait till I am more confident, after all it took me about a month before I even opened the recorder box. My old TV is working fine, even if it does only have 4 channels, and it also has the video recorder attached, and I do have hundreds of videos that I may want to watch one day:) Yippee, its the weekend. Maybe I will have some time tomorrow on my knitting machine. I already know what I want to knit, but each time I read a new magazine, I change my mind. Watch this space:)

2 comments:

Susan said...

Don't be scared of your new TV - just plug it in and try it, it won't bite. Nothing will go wrong, trust me! Heck, if you can use a computer and write your own blog (and use a knitting machine)setting up a new telly's nothing. Once you've done it you'll wonder what you were scared of.

PaulaC said...

Well it didn't bite me, although things did not go entirely to plan. But thank you for the words of encouragement.