Wednesday 2 April 2008

I can resist anything but temptation

So the unfinished projects are still unfinished. I simply could not resist starting on this pair of socks. I have had the kit for about 2 years and really felt it was about time I overcame this phobia to dpn's. After all I have been knitting for 5 decades now, and in that time have tackled many things. Even having now got the hang of circular needles, this seemed like the final challenge. Not that it was easy. Casting on the stitches and dividing them between needles was fairly straightforward, but then to actually knit proved far from easy. I could not work out which needle to hold and kept dropping the working one on the floor. Swiftly followed by the yarn marker to show me where the start of the round was. Not that I needed it. When knitting I like to leave a long thread to sew the item together - it took me about 5 rounds before my brain clicked and I realised I would not need to sew up this bit of knitting, duh. Talk about dumb. OK, 16 rounds of 2x2 rib and I thought, "I have got the hang of this" so went to eat. Came back and turned the piece round and round in my hand trying to work out where to go from here. Eventually my brain sort of worked again, and was able to do a few rows more. Now I have to go out to my drama group, but could not resist posting a couple of pictures first:)

2 comments:

knitternicky said...

hi Paula, the sock looks fab so far, plaese keep posting pics and let us know how you are getting on with them. I have the dpn's and the wool to start some of my own but want to get my present project out the way before I start my first pair so I can devote my attention to them.

PaulaC said...

Thanks Nicky, I am getting close to doing the heel now and am a bit nervous, but don't worry I will update as I go along