Sunday 1 January 2012

Happy New Year

2012 has arrived, and I am hoping it is going to be a good year. Though it will probably be more like the curates egg as usual. I love the New Year, it's always a sign of promise. A new page in the book of life to fill.

One of the bad bits of last year was losing a very dear friend. Someone who has been here for me since I arrived up here. Someone who I shared so many interests with, not least knitting. I still miss our time together, and know there will never be another Cilla, but I am so proud and happy to have known you.

Cilla left a lot of knitted squares to make a double blanket with. The yarn is 100% aran wool. I know because I supplied it for her when I had to wool shop. All the pieces are beautifully knitted and I have sorted them into piles.
 

24 cable

23 blackberry

20 diamond


16 Eiffel tower


16 leaf

the edging


sorted into piles

Cilla also left a chart of where each square was to go. This would have been the 3rd she knitted for family members weddings. Unfortunately she became ill before she had time to sew them all together. This is a mammoth undertaking, but I am feeling privileged to  have the honour of finishing this off for my friend. I have put together the top 9 squares and admit I shed a few tears remembering Cilla and our time together. There will probably be more along the way until this is finished and handed back to her family. But soon I hope they will have another heirloom from a lovely lady to remember her by. I know I will never forget her.

No comments: